Earlier this month, I boarded a Sunwing plane to Mexico where I would spend three nights at the Riu Dunamar – a four-star resort, exclusive to Sunwing Vacations, which opened on December 2nd. Only 40 minutes from Cancun by car, the resort is located on the beautiful white sand beach of Costa Mujeres (which is still mostly undeveloped and pristine), directly across from legendary Isla Mujeres. Here are six reasons to choose this chic destination for your next vacation.
- The hotel design is very clean and contemporary – for those who like their hotels to be modern, photogenic and to have all the on-site amenities so that they never need to leave, Riu Dunamar is just that! I especially liked the fact that the hotel is an inverted U shape, facing the beach, which makes it very easy to navigate.
- The five restaurants each have their own unique decor and I was happy that they also have a dress code. No flip-flops or bathing suits allowed! I love dressing up for dinner, even while on vacation. This photo was taken at the Italian restaurant (because I matched the decor).
- For families, Riu Dunamar has an amazing water park – one of the biggest in Mexico. Complete with a splash pool and water slides for the wee ones and exciting, towering slides for the bigger kids (including adult children ;). The water park is located beside the hotel, which is great for those who do not wish to endure the excitement of the water park.
- Renova Spa – I was treated to a massage at the spa and found that to be an excellent way to add another level of luxury relaxation to any vacation. Sunwing clients are entitled to a special discount if they book their spa service with their vacation.
- The bars – even though there is a fully-equipped bar in each room, I preferred enjoying the excellent cocktails made by the friendly barmen in all five bars at the resort. The lobby bar, El Jardin was a great place to meet for a martini or mojito before dinner. I also found the shows at the Plaza bar were a nice attraction for guests. The Plaza bar is the largest bar, located in the centre of the resort and is covered yet open toward the sea. We were especially impressed by the large buffet they set out on Super Bowl Sunday. It felt as if the entire resort attended that viewing party! Although I almost always chose the ocean over the pools, I did have to try the swim-up bar for a refreshing Pina colada while I wading in the water.
- The beach is magnificent – for me, the beach is the highlight at Riu Dunamar. I made a point of getting up in time to take in the sunrise on the beach each morning. That view is so worth the effort! On the last day, I even walked as far as I could north of the resort and back (which took a good hour) and then enjoyed a quick dip in the ocean under the watchful eye of the lifeguard.
For the excursions and other activities you can enjoy, which are available as add-ons to your stay, here is what I recommend :
We took advantage of the proximity of Isla Mujeres to enjoy a catamaran day with Isla Mujeres Luxury Sailing, including a guided tour of the island. The boat was a luxury catamaran, just big enough for our group of 10 people. We swam in the ocean and some of us even showed off our yoga poses on the two SUPs offered with the boat tour. Before heading back to the hotel, we stopped at a bar on Isla Mujeres to enjoy an excellent ceviche, guacamole and fresh margaritas. A must!
There are also diving and other water sport activities offered at Riu Dunamar: www.scubacaribe.com
I hope my stay will bring you some sunshine on this winter day! Btw, Sunwing has direct flights from Montreal to Cancun every day until April.
Disclaimer: I was invited by Sunwing Vacations to experience a stay at Riu Dunamar from February 2nd to 5th. However, opinions are mine and this article is not sponsored.